WATCH: The Coming Out Story That Made a Straight Man Live as Gay for a Year
BY Lucas Grindley
October 11 2012 1:53 PM ET
The author of a new book, who spent a year posing as a gay man, has one of the most impressive stories of how coming out can change the world.
Nashville resident Timothy Kurek released his book today, on National Coming Out Day, to emphasize that point. He first realized he was wrong about homosexuality when a close friend came out to him as a lesbian, and he turned her away the same as her parents had done.
"My reaction wasn't any more loving than her parents," remembers Kurek, who writes about the moment in The Cross in the Closet. "For the first time in my life, I was moved enough to question that little voice inside my head that told me this precious girl crying on my shoulder wasn't abominable, or scary or bad. Call it the holy spirit, call it a grand epiphany, but somehow in that moment I knew that my life and my faith had wandered drastically off course."
Kurek said he been taught in Sunday school as a kid to fear gay people, first via the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. The teacher said the two cities were destroyed by God. "I became afraid of the word homosexual," he remembers. "Gays were the enemy."
Watch the first-person video below from ABC News about how Kurekon realized he was wrong, and then how he decided to live as a gay man for a year to learn true empathy.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM