Shop Honors Comic Book Wedding With Real One
BY Trudy Ring
June 20 2012 3:02 PM ET
Comic book shops around the country are celebrating the same-sex marriage of an X-Men member in a variety of ways, with one in New York City hosting a real wedding.
Scott Everhart, 39, and Jason Welker, 33, a couple from Columbus, Ohio, got married this morning at Midtown Comics in New York, The New York Times reports, in honor of today’s release of the Astonishing X-Men issue in which superhero Northstar marries his boyfriend, Kyle. A reception for Everhart and Welker was scheduled for this afternoon at the Eventi Hotel.
The two were selected from more than 50 applicants because “they really stood out as super-fans,” said Thor Parker, Midtown Comics’ social media and events director. They met online and had one of their first dates at a comics-related event.
Other comic stores with special events related to Northstar’s wedding include the two Maximum Comics shops in Las Vegas, which will host receptions this afternoon with flowers, cake, and employees dressed in wedding attire, local TV station KTNV reports. The events will include a raffle to raise funds for Aid for AIDS Nevada.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: Why I Quit My Job at the United Nations
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- Robbie Rogers's Memoir Kicks Around Depression, Redemption, And Coming Out
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Vladimir Putin