Shop Honors Comic Book Wedding With Real One
BY Trudy Ring
June 20 2012 4:02 PM ET
Comic book shops around the country are celebrating the same-sex marriage of an X-Men member in a variety of ways, with one in New York City hosting a real wedding.
Scott Everhart, 39, and Jason Welker, 33, a couple from Columbus, Ohio, got married this morning at Midtown Comics in New York, The New York Times reports, in honor of today’s release of the Astonishing X-Men issue in which superhero Northstar marries his boyfriend, Kyle. A reception for Everhart and Welker was scheduled for this afternoon at the Eventi Hotel.
The two were selected from more than 50 applicants because “they really stood out as super-fans,” said Thor Parker, Midtown Comics’ social media and events director. They met online and had one of their first dates at a comics-related event.
Other comic stores with special events related to Northstar’s wedding include the two Maximum Comics shops in Las Vegas, which will host receptions this afternoon with flowers, cake, and employees dressed in wedding attire, local TV station KTNV reports. The events will include a raffle to raise funds for Aid for AIDS Nevada.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 12 min 42 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 28 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 2 hours 50 min ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 3:18 PM
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 3:02 PM
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2:58 PM