Academics accuse DC Comics of homophobia
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 16 2001 12:00 AM ET
An article in the current issue of Lingua Franca accuses DC Comics of withholding reprint rights to academics who make assertions regarding the possible homosexuality of the popular character Batman. The article, All in the Family: Homophobia and Batman Comics in the 1950s, by Michigan State University grad student Chris York, discusses how Fredric Werthams accusations of homosexuality in Batman comics led to the creation of Bat-Woman and other female characters. York claims that, even though he assured DC Comics that his article in no way suggested that Batman is gay, the company refused to allow him to reprint four Batman panels with his article when it was published in the International Journal of Comic Art. While a DC spokesperson says that censorship was not the motive, University of Calgary professor Bart Beaty (coauthor of the upcoming International Encyclopedia of Comics) believes that Yorks article was clearly a victim of censorship and homophobia and points out that denial of reprint permission hampers academics ability to write about comics. Writing about comics by only quoting the written text, says Beaty, is like writing about Shakespeare by only quoting the stage directions.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM