Lincoln Center honors Blitzstein, Strayhorn, and other gay composers
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 22 2001 1:00 AM ET
Lincoln Centers American Songbook program presents Cabaret: The Songwriters, a three-night program honoring American songwriters. The event begins March 22 with So This Is Love: A Billy Strayhorn Evening, featuring Darius de Haas performing works by the gay jazz composer. Hear & Now! on March 23 features contemporary songsmiths, including out musicians Michael John La Chiusa and Ricky Ian Gordon (The Wild Party). Capping off the series on March 24 is Beyond the Cradle: The Songs of Marc Blitzstein, honoring gay composer Marc Blitzstein (The Cradle Will Rock). Among the featured performers for the last program is openly gay actor Malcolm Gets (Caroline in the City). All three evenings will take place at New Yorks Stanley H. Kaplan Penthouse, 165 W. 65th Street, Tenth Floor. Tickets are $45 per show and are available at the Alice Tully Hall box office, via CenterCharge (212/721-6500) or on the Web at www.lincolncenter.org.
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- Every GOP 2016 Hopeful Backs Mike Pence
- Indiana Copycat Bill Sent to Arkansas Governor; Will He Sign?