Strand to release two Filipino gay films on DVD
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 25 2001 12:00 AM ET
Strand Releasing Home Video will release two popular gay Filipino titles, Macho Dancer and Burlesk King, on VHS and DVD on Tuesday, September 25. Lino Brocka's Macho Dancer is one of the most famous--and infamous--Filipino films, garnering acclaim at festivals around the world while being censored by the government at home. The sole surviving 35-millimeter print of Brocka's original version was smuggled out of the country and is now part of the permanent collection at New York's Museum of Modern Art--the video was struck from this print. Mel Chionglo's recent Burlesk King follows in the tradition of Macho Dancer, exploring the lives of men who dance in Manila gay clubs and dream of a better life. For more information visit www.strandreleasing.com.
- Op-Ed: Gay Purple Heart Recipient Says 'Mission Not Accomplished'
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- 6 Last-Minute Exercises for the Perfect Gay Beach Bod