Long-running British soap EastEnders gets new gay character
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 03 2001 12:00 AM ET
Ian Lavender will join the cast of the venerable British soap opera EastEnders as a gay character who attracts the attentions of a straight woman, reports BBC News. Lavender, well-known to U.K. audiences for his role on the sitcom Dad's Army, will turn up in November to help put on a pantomime, only to find himself the object of the affections of the sharp-tongued Pauline Fowler, who's been having man trouble. The popular EastEnders regularly draws between 10 and 14 million viewers.
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- Every GOP 2016 Hopeful Backs Mike Pence
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV
- Gov. Mike Pence: 'This Is a Perception Problem'