Marc Blitzstein's No for an Answer opens in San Francisco
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 23 2001 12:00 AM ET
The American Conservatory Theater Master of Fine Arts Program presents the world premiere staging of gay composer Marc Blitzstein's No for an Answer, a musical drama about working-class men and women struggling against social injustice, on Monday, October 22. The show premiered as a benefit concert in 1941 (featuring a 20-year-old Carol Channing accompanied by the composer at the piano), but its left-of-center politics kept the show from ever securing funding for a stage run. Blitzstein is best known for his Depression-era musical The Cradle Will Rock. No for an Answer runs through November 10 at the Zeum Theater at Yerba Buena Gardens in San Francisco. For tickets, call (415) 749-2228 or visit www.act-sfbay.org.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House