Will Ellen host Oscars?
November 16 2001 1:00 AM ET
fanning speculation that Ellen DeGeneres, praised in all
quarters for her job of hosting the recent Emmy Awards, is a
major contender to emcee the 2002 Academy Awards. "Ellen did
such a good job at the Emmys--even snaring that rare thing,
a standing ovation from a cynical Hollywood crowd--that it's
inevitable she's now considered a serious candidate," says
Tom O'Neil, host of the awards-watching Web site www.GoldDerby.com. "It doesn't matter
that she's not a movie biz insider. Johnny Carson did an ace
job hosting the Oscars five times." Academy spokesperson
John Pavlik would only say, "At this point, the only sure
thing anybody can say is that until she locks down a host,
[producer Laura Ziskin] won't be ruling anybody out--or in."
As for DeGeneres, her rep says, "I'm sure if she was offered
it, she'd do it in a second."
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- WATCH: Finding the Funny in "Ex-Gay" Marriages and a Queerpocalypse
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- India Gets First Transgender TV News Anchor
- Erasure is Back With a New Album and a Still Sexy Gay Rock Star