Will Ellen host Oscars?
November 16 2001 1:00 AM ET
fanning speculation that Ellen DeGeneres, praised in all
quarters for her job of hosting the recent Emmy Awards, is a
major contender to emcee the 2002 Academy Awards. "Ellen did
such a good job at the Emmys--even snaring that rare thing,
a standing ovation from a cynical Hollywood crowd--that it's
inevitable she's now considered a serious candidate," says
Tom O'Neil, host of the awards-watching Web site www.GoldDerby.com. "It doesn't matter
that she's not a movie biz insider. Johnny Carson did an ace
job hosting the Oscars five times." Academy spokesperson
John Pavlik would only say, "At this point, the only sure
thing anybody can say is that until she locks down a host,
[producer Laura Ziskin] won't be ruling anybody out--or in."
As for DeGeneres, her rep says, "I'm sure if she was offered
it, she'd do it in a second."
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 1 hour 6 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 2 hours 8 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM