Will Ellen host Oscars?
November 16 2001 1:00 AM ET
fanning speculation that Ellen DeGeneres, praised in all
quarters for her job of hosting the recent Emmy Awards, is a
major contender to emcee the 2002 Academy Awards. "Ellen did
such a good job at the Emmys--even snaring that rare thing,
a standing ovation from a cynical Hollywood crowd--that it's
inevitable she's now considered a serious candidate," says
Tom O'Neil, host of the awards-watching Web site www.GoldDerby.com. "It doesn't matter
that she's not a movie biz insider. Johnny Carson did an ace
job hosting the Oscars five times." Academy spokesperson
John Pavlik would only say, "At this point, the only sure
thing anybody can say is that until she locks down a host,
[producer Laura Ziskin] won't be ruling anybody out--or in."
As for DeGeneres, her rep says, "I'm sure if she was offered
it, she'd do it in a second."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 1 hour 18 min ago
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM