More than 500 audition for Hairspray in Baltimore
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 08 2001 12:00 AM ET
The Baltimore Sun reports that more than 500 hopeful actors attended an open audition for the forthcoming Broadway musical Hairspray, based on the movie written and directed by out filmmaker John Waters. Hairspray tells the story of chubby Tracy Turnblad, whose dancing skills make her the toast of 1960s Baltimore television. The only role cast thus far is that of Tracy's mother: Played by Divine in the film, the part goes to Harvey Fierstein, who donned drag once before in Torch Song Trilogy. The score is cowritten by openly gay composer Marc Shaiman (South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut).
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View