More than 500 audition for Hairspray in Baltimore
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 08 2001 1:00 AM ET
The Baltimore Sun reports that more than 500 hopeful actors attended an open audition for the forthcoming Broadway musical Hairspray, based on the movie written and directed by out filmmaker John Waters. Hairspray tells the story of chubby Tracy Turnblad, whose dancing skills make her the toast of 1960s Baltimore television. The only role cast thus far is that of Tracy's mother: Played by Divine in the film, the part goes to Harvey Fierstein, who donned drag once before in Torch Song Trilogy. The score is cowritten by openly gay composer Marc Shaiman (South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut).
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- PHOTOS: Six Stabbed at Jerusalem Pride March
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- Omar Sharif Jr. Featured on Arabic TV News
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series