Rosie's Rosie suit headed for trial
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 21 2003 11:00 PM ET
The suits and countersuits filed by Rosie O'Donnell and former Rosie publisher Gruner + Jahr USA are headed to court, reports E! Online. New York State supreme court justice Ira Gammerman rejected motions from both sides to dismiss and set September 30 for the next hearing on the matter. A trial date is expected to be set for late October or early November.
G+J sued O'Donnell in October 2002 for $100 million, claiming that O'Donnell's "bizarre and ofttimes mean-spirited behavior...had the effect of making it difficult and ultimately impossible for G+J to continue publishing the magazine." The company's suit went on to state that O'Donnell, after departing her hit talk show following six years on the air, "began to transform her public persona from warm, fun-loving 'Queen of Nice' to a self-proclaimed über-bitch." O'Donnell responded with a $125 million suit of her own, holding the company responsible for destroying the magazine and attempting to take down her reputation as well. She claims the publisher attempted a "hostile takeover" when former People editor Susan Toepfer was installed at Rosie and tried to take the magazine in directions of which O'Donnell did not approve. O'Donnell departed the magazine in September.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 45 min 23 sec ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 1 hour 45 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM