Actress Amber Heard: I'm Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 06 2010 12:00 PM ET
Actress Amber Heard, who has appeared in the films Pineapple Express and Zombieland and will soon be featured as the female lead opposite Johnny Depp in The Rum Diary, came out at a GLAAD event in Los Angeles over the weekend.
The 24-year-old actress has been dating photographer Tasya van Ree since 2008. She told AfterEllen.com she decided to come out because "injustice can never be stood for" — and she doesn't want to be part of the problem.
"I think when I became aware of my role in the media, I had to ask myself an important question: 'Am I part of the problem?' And I think that when millions and millions of hardworking, tax-paying Americans are denied their rights and denied their equality you have to ask yourself what are the factors that are an epidemic problem and that's what this is.
"Injustice can never be stood for. It always must be fought against and I just was sick of it being a problem. I personally think that if you deny something or if you hide something you're inadvertently admitting it's wrong. I don't feel like I'm wrong."
Heard is the female lead in the forthcoming action flick Drive Crazy opposite Nicolas Cage and will also appear in The Rum Diary opposite Depp, both in 2011.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- PHOTOS: The Bare Truths of Trans Men
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality