BY Brandon Voss
November 12 2009 10:00 AM ET
Did movies and music make you feel at home?
Music was big for me when I was growing up because bands were singing about things I could relate to, so I became the stereotypical kid walking around with headphones, coming home, putting on music, and being alone. Finally, when I was 16, I saw Harold and Maude and The Graduate, and they spoke to what I was feeling as a teenager in a way that music had for years. I decided then that I hoped whatever I did in my life would somehow stay close to the warmth I felt from these movies. I still don’t do or know much else other than movies and music, though I’m told that getting into espresso is a wonderful way to go -- with the different beans, the machines, and the frothing.
Though he’s ultimately heroic, Ash, the cape-wearing young fox you voice in Fantastic Mr. Fox, is frequently labeled as being “different.” Is Ash a good role model for struggling gay youths?
I hope it makes any kid who feels different feel happy. Ash feels like he’s so little, but it’s his size that enables him to save people in the end. We’re all born with something we’re maybe embarrassed about, but the movie’s about how that’s the thing that makes you beautiful, interesting, and unique. So fuck yes, you should be different.
Bored to Death was created by Jonathan Ames, who once called himself “the gayest straight writer in America.” Ames’s protagonists often explore their homosexual impulses, and his novels The Extra Man and I Pass Like Night as well as his graphic novel The Alcoholic all feature liquor-fueled same-sex affairs. Since his girlfriend left him, will your Bored to Death character eventually wander down the bisexual path?
Who knows? We wait for Jonathan Ames to lead us. But his mind goes where it may, and HBO seems to be behind him doing whatever it is he wants to do. He’s just the right combination of innocence and perversion.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 32 min 38 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 2 hours 32 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM