WATCH: Stud Lesbian Life Explored in New Film
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 18 2012 11:10 AM ET
The subculture of lesbian studs, women who exude a masculine swagger, is portrayed in a new British film from director Campbell X, who says she was inspired by her friends in London.
Stud Life chronicles two friends: a gay man and a stud lesbian who are best friends. Eventually, the gay man becomes jealous of the stud's new girlfriend, who in turn becomes jealous of the gay man.
X says she was inspired to write the film by the people she knows in London. "I wanted to show that part of London which I think is really exciting," she says, "But I also wanted to show female masculinity, as well. I was inspired by YouTube videos of stud lesbians who...are archiving their own stories for posterity."
The filmmaker says she's always wanted to tell LGBT stories, but adds that it's easy to become cynical since there's so much LGBT representation in mainstram entertainment. "There are not as many people of color who are queer who are represented in cinema generally and in TV," she continues. "I want to tell these stories as well as stories of other people who are part of the LGBT world...people who don't really confrom to corporatized idea image of LGBT or queerness."
Stud Life will screen at L.A.'s DGA Theatre on July 20 at 7:15 p.m. For more information go to Outfest.org. Watch Campbell X discuss her film below.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 1 hour 16 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM