WATCH: Stud Lesbian Life Explored in New Film
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 18 2012 12:10 PM ET
The subculture of lesbian studs, women who exude a masculine swagger, is portrayed in a new British film from director Campbell X, who says she was inspired by her friends in London.
Stud Life chronicles two friends: a gay man and a stud lesbian who are best friends. Eventually, the gay man becomes jealous of the stud's new girlfriend, who in turn becomes jealous of the gay man.
X says she was inspired to write the film by the people she knows in London. "I wanted to show that part of London which I think is really exciting," she says, "But I also wanted to show female masculinity, as well. I was inspired by YouTube videos of stud lesbians who...are archiving their own stories for posterity."
The filmmaker says she's always wanted to tell LGBT stories, but adds that it's easy to become cynical since there's so much LGBT representation in mainstram entertainment. "There are not as many people of color who are queer who are represented in cinema generally and in TV," she continues. "I want to tell these stories as well as stories of other people who are part of the LGBT world...people who don't really confrom to corporatized idea image of LGBT or queerness."
Stud Life will screen at L.A.'s DGA Theatre on July 20 at 7:15 p.m. For more information go to Outfest.org. Watch Campbell X discuss her film below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM