WATCH: Stud Lesbian Life Explored in New Film
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 18 2012 12:10 PM ET
The subculture of lesbian studs, women who exude a masculine swagger, is portrayed in a new British film from director Campbell X, who says she was inspired by her friends in London.
Stud Life chronicles two friends: a gay man and a stud lesbian who are best friends. Eventually, the gay man becomes jealous of the stud's new girlfriend, who in turn becomes jealous of the gay man.
X says she was inspired to write the film by the people she knows in London. "I wanted to show that part of London which I think is really exciting," she says, "But I also wanted to show female masculinity, as well. I was inspired by YouTube videos of stud lesbians who...are archiving their own stories for posterity."
The filmmaker says she's always wanted to tell LGBT stories, but adds that it's easy to become cynical since there's so much LGBT representation in mainstram entertainment. "There are not as many people of color who are queer who are represented in cinema generally and in TV," she continues. "I want to tell these stories as well as stories of other people who are part of the LGBT world...people who don't really confrom to corporatized idea image of LGBT or queerness."
Stud Life will screen at L.A.'s DGA Theatre on July 20 at 7:15 p.m. For more information go to Outfest.org. Watch Campbell X discuss her film below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 2 hours 50 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 2 hours 55 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM