Craig Zadan, Neil Meron to Produce Academy Awards
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 23 2012 2:04 PM ET
Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, who've brought numerous award-winning LGBT-inclusive films to the big screen, can now add producing the Oscar ceremony to their lengthy list of achievements.
The duo, who have produced hit films such as Hairspray and the Best Picture Oscar-winner Chicago, have been hired to oversee the 85th Academy Awards in February.
"We are very excited to collaborate with [Academy president Hawk Koch] and everyone at the Academy to produce this year's Oscars," Zadan and Meron say in a statement. "We hope to utilize our experience in producing features, TV, and theater to bring something fresh and special to this incredible awards show. When we filmed The Bucket List, we made our own personal bucket list, and producing the Oscars was #1. It's truly a great honor."
The two men received the Vito Russo Awards earlier this year from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. GLAAD president Herndon Graddick released a statement, saying, “For decades, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron have been fearless in bringing powerful and entertaining stories to screens, and will undoubtedly bring that same level of passion and skill for storytelling to the Oscars.”
Meron and Zadan discuss possible plans for their ceremony here.
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- 11 Sweet Celebrity Tweets Celebrating Ireland's Marriage Equality Win
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- Ireland Votes Yes, Becomes First Nation in World to Approve Marriage Equality
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun