Craig Zadan, Neil Meron to Produce Academy Awards
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 23 2012 2:04 PM ET
Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, who've brought numerous award-winning LGBT-inclusive films to the big screen, can now add producing the Oscar ceremony to their lengthy list of achievements.
The duo, who have produced hit films such as Hairspray and the Best Picture Oscar-winner Chicago, have been hired to oversee the 85th Academy Awards in February.
"We are very excited to collaborate with [Academy president Hawk Koch] and everyone at the Academy to produce this year's Oscars," Zadan and Meron say in a statement. "We hope to utilize our experience in producing features, TV, and theater to bring something fresh and special to this incredible awards show. When we filmed The Bucket List, we made our own personal bucket list, and producing the Oscars was #1. It's truly a great honor."
The two men received the Vito Russo Awards earlier this year from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. GLAAD president Herndon Graddick released a statement, saying, “For decades, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron have been fearless in bringing powerful and entertaining stories to screens, and will undoubtedly bring that same level of passion and skill for storytelling to the Oscars.”
Meron and Zadan discuss possible plans for their ceremony here.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 1 hour 4 min ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 1 hour 39 min ago
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 1 hour 54 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 1 hour 55 min ago
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM