Hot Sheet: Smacking James Franco Around Some
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 30 2013 4:42 PM ET
7. EVENT: FUN. With Tegan and Sara at the Greek in Los Angeles
You're almost certainly familiar with Grammy-winning pop-rock trio FUN.'s summer anthem "We Are Young," with its infectiously catchy hook and we-don't-care-what-you-say-we'll-enjoy-our-reckless-youth message. Or maybe you're familiar with the band's equally anthemic track of perseverance, "Carry On." What you might not know is that even though all three band members identify as straight, they're serious, committed allies to the LGBT community. Guitarist Jack Antonoff and girlfriend Lena Dunham have promised they won't get married until everyone can, and the band teamed up with Antonoff's sister to found the Ally Coalition, a nonprofit that works with people the music, fashion, and entertainment industries to raise awareness, funds, and support for LGBTQ people. Yes, the Ally Coalition is strict about including the Q at the end of the inclusive acronym. The Ally Coalition and other pro-LGBT organizations will be tabling at each concert this summer in what the band calls its Equality Village.
In case that wasn't enough to sell you on this energetic band with a killer reputation for putting on raucous shows that are nothing short of, well, fun, the band's Most Nights summer tour features none other than former Advocate cover girls and chart-topping out twin sisters Tegan and Sara. The all-star pairing takes to the stage at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles for a two-night set Tuesday and Wednesday, and then continues its nationwide tour through October. Find the full list of tour dates here.
- Women 19 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Saskia de Brauw 4 min 23 sec ago
- Television Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower 5 min 35 sec ago
- Travel WATCH: Jeff Koons, John Waters Discuss Art 18 min 9 sec ago
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality 28 min 53 sec ago
- World World Bank President Withdraws From Panel on 'Economic Impact of Homophobia' 1 hour 13 min ago
- Transgender Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women 1 hour 19 min ago
- Sports College Swimmer Comes Out to Religious Mom 1 hour 38 min ago