Hot Sheet: Smacking James Franco Around Some
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 30 2013 5:42 PM ET
7. EVENT: FUN. With Tegan and Sara at the Greek in Los Angeles
You're almost certainly familiar with Grammy-winning pop-rock trio FUN.'s summer anthem "We Are Young," with its infectiously catchy hook and we-don't-care-what-you-say-we'll-enjoy-our-reckless-youth message. Or maybe you're familiar with the band's equally anthemic track of perseverance, "Carry On." What you might not know is that even though all three band members identify as straight, they're serious, committed allies to the LGBT community. Guitarist Jack Antonoff and girlfriend Lena Dunham have promised they won't get married until everyone can, and the band teamed up with Antonoff's sister to found the Ally Coalition, a nonprofit that works with people the music, fashion, and entertainment industries to raise awareness, funds, and support for LGBTQ people. Yes, the Ally Coalition is strict about including the Q at the end of the inclusive acronym. The Ally Coalition and other pro-LGBT organizations will be tabling at each concert this summer in what the band calls its Equality Village.
In case that wasn't enough to sell you on this energetic band with a killer reputation for putting on raucous shows that are nothing short of, well, fun, the band's Most Nights summer tour features none other than former Advocate cover girls and chart-topping out twin sisters Tegan and Sara. The all-star pairing takes to the stage at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles for a two-night set Tuesday and Wednesday, and then continues its nationwide tour through October. Find the full list of tour dates here.
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- WATCH: Being Gay Is 'Death Worthy,' According to Georgia Church Sign
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women
- Rick Santorum Defends Bruce Jenner: 'He's a Woman'
- New Details Emerge as Officials Rule Leelah Alcorn's Death a 'Suicide'
- Argentina Makes History With Three-Parent Birth Certificate