Hot Sheet: Smacking James Franco Around Some
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 30 2013 5:42 PM ET
7. EVENT: FUN. With Tegan and Sara at the Greek in Los Angeles
You're almost certainly familiar with Grammy-winning pop-rock trio FUN.'s summer anthem "We Are Young," with its infectiously catchy hook and we-don't-care-what-you-say-we'll-enjoy-our-reckless-youth message. Or maybe you're familiar with the band's equally anthemic track of perseverance, "Carry On." What you might not know is that even though all three band members identify as straight, they're serious, committed allies to the LGBT community. Guitarist Jack Antonoff and girlfriend Lena Dunham have promised they won't get married until everyone can, and the band teamed up with Antonoff's sister to found the Ally Coalition, a nonprofit that works with people the music, fashion, and entertainment industries to raise awareness, funds, and support for LGBTQ people. Yes, the Ally Coalition is strict about including the Q at the end of the inclusive acronym. The Ally Coalition and other pro-LGBT organizations will be tabling at each concert this summer in what the band calls its Equality Village.
In case that wasn't enough to sell you on this energetic band with a killer reputation for putting on raucous shows that are nothing short of, well, fun, the band's Most Nights summer tour features none other than former Advocate cover girls and chart-topping out twin sisters Tegan and Sara. The all-star pairing takes to the stage at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles for a two-night set Tuesday and Wednesday, and then continues its nationwide tour through October. Find the full list of tour dates here.
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- WATCH: Conan's Hilarious Interview With Indiana's 'Religious Freedom Czar'
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation
- MSNBC Shake-Up Means Big Role for Thomas Roberts
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Student Defies Russia's Propaganda Ban With Hozier's 'Take Me to Church'