GLAAD Slams Azealia Banks
BY Neal Broverman
January 07 2013 6:49 PM ET
The watchdog group released a statement about Banks's use of a slur to describe gay blogger Perez Hilton, who she sparred with on Twitter this weekend. Of the many insults Banks lobbed at Hilton, the worst was when she called him a "messy fa**ot."
"Regardless of her intent or her personal definition, what matters is the meaning given to that word by those who hear it, and the damage it causes when they do," GLAAD said in a statement. "Undoubtedly there are gay kids who follow her on Twitter who hear this word in an entirely different context. This word is used almost universally by bullies, often as part of a larger verbal or physical assault. This word hurts those kids, no matter what Banks meant by it."
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating