GLAAD Slams Azealia Banks
BY Neal Broverman
January 07 2013 5:49 PM ET
The watchdog group released a statement about Banks's use of a slur to describe gay blogger Perez Hilton, who she sparred with on Twitter this weekend. Of the many insults Banks lobbed at Hilton, the worst was when she called him a "messy fa**ot."
"Regardless of her intent or her personal definition, what matters is the meaning given to that word by those who hear it, and the damage it causes when they do," GLAAD said in a statement. "Undoubtedly there are gay kids who follow her on Twitter who hear this word in an entirely different context. This word is used almost universally by bullies, often as part of a larger verbal or physical assault. This word hurts those kids, no matter what Banks meant by it."
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Gay Hero of Sydney Siege Wrestled With Gunman
- READ: 9-Year-Old Girl's Adorable Letter to Newly Out Gay Teacher
- Vine Star Attempts to Justify Homophobic Video
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers