GLAAD Slams Azealia Banks
BY Neal Broverman
January 07 2013 5:49 PM ET
The watchdog group released a statement about Banks's use of a slur to describe gay blogger Perez Hilton, who she sparred with on Twitter this weekend. Of the many insults Banks lobbed at Hilton, the worst was when she called him a "messy fa**ot."
"Regardless of her intent or her personal definition, what matters is the meaning given to that word by those who hear it, and the damage it causes when they do," GLAAD said in a statement. "Undoubtedly there are gay kids who follow her on Twitter who hear this word in an entirely different context. This word is used almost universally by bullies, often as part of a larger verbal or physical assault. This word hurts those kids, no matter what Banks meant by it."
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 1 hour 20 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 1 hour 46 min ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 1 hour 51 min ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 2 hours 14 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 5:49 PM