GLAAD Slams Azealia Banks
BY Neal Broverman
January 07 2013 5:49 PM ET
The watchdog group released a statement about Banks's use of a slur to describe gay blogger Perez Hilton, who she sparred with on Twitter this weekend. Of the many insults Banks lobbed at Hilton, the worst was when she called him a "messy fa**ot."
"Regardless of her intent or her personal definition, what matters is the meaning given to that word by those who hear it, and the damage it causes when they do," GLAAD said in a statement. "Undoubtedly there are gay kids who follow her on Twitter who hear this word in an entirely different context. This word is used almost universally by bullies, often as part of a larger verbal or physical assault. This word hurts those kids, no matter what Banks meant by it."
- World World Bank President Withdraws From Panel on 'Economic Impact of Homophobia' 23 min 11 sec ago
- Transgender Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women 29 min 18 sec ago
- Sports College Swimmer Comes Out to Religious Mom 48 min 55 sec ago
- Media CNN to Test New Don Lemon Prime-Time Show 1 hour 2 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think 1 hour 18 min ago
- Love and Sex Single, Fun, Fit, and 50 1 hour 30 min ago
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 1 hour 47 min ago