GLAAD Announces Best of Media, Including The Advocate
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 16 2013 6:02 AM ET
Today the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Agains Defamation announced nominees for its 2013 Media Awards, which recognize fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of the LGBT community in news and entertainment.
"Images and stories from the LGBT community continue to push support for equality to historic levels," said GLAAD president Herndon Graddick in a statement, noting "a new American landscape where a growing majority accept and value their LGBT family, colleagues and friends."
From entertainment, this year's nominees include perennial favorites such as Glee and Modern Family as well as TV newcomers The New Normal and Go On. Film buffs will appreciate GLAAD's first nomination of a PG-rated film in ParaNorman, which also snagged an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature. Powerful AIDS documentary How to Survive a Plague will face off against country singer Chely Wright's coming-out biopic, Wish Me Away, for Outstanding Documentary.
"Now more than ever, viewers not only accept gay and transgender characters and plot lines, they expect them — just as they both accept and expect LGBT people to be a valuable part of their everyday lives," Graddick said.
Leading the news business, MSNBC and The Advocate brought in three nominations each. The Advocate and our sibling publication Out are nominated as Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage — a category shared with The New Yorker, People, Seventeen, and New York magazine.
Several individual projects of The Advocate also garnered nominations, including The Advocate 45 series in Outstanding Digital Journalism, and Andrew Harmon's powerful feature about how transgender people are treated in prison, "Eight Months in Solitary," for Outstanding Digital Journalism Article.
The 24th annual GLAAD Media Awards will take place on March 16 in New York City, on April 20 in Los Angeles, and on May 11 in San Francisco.
See all 120 nominees in 25 categories on the next page.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM