GLAAD Announces Best of Media, Including The Advocate
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 16 2013 7:02 AM ET
Today the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Agains Defamation announced nominees for its 2013 Media Awards, which recognize fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of the LGBT community in news and entertainment.
"Images and stories from the LGBT community continue to push support for equality to historic levels," said GLAAD president Herndon Graddick in a statement, noting "a new American landscape where a growing majority accept and value their LGBT family, colleagues and friends."
From entertainment, this year's nominees include perennial favorites such as Glee and Modern Family as well as TV newcomers The New Normal and Go On. Film buffs will appreciate GLAAD's first nomination of a PG-rated film in ParaNorman, which also snagged an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature. Powerful AIDS documentary How to Survive a Plague will face off against country singer Chely Wright's coming-out biopic, Wish Me Away, for Outstanding Documentary.
"Now more than ever, viewers not only accept gay and transgender characters and plot lines, they expect them — just as they both accept and expect LGBT people to be a valuable part of their everyday lives," Graddick said.
Leading the news business, MSNBC and The Advocate brought in three nominations each. The Advocate and our sibling publication Out are nominated as Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage — a category shared with The New Yorker, People, Seventeen, and New York magazine.
Several individual projects of The Advocate also garnered nominations, including The Advocate 45 series in Outstanding Digital Journalism, and Andrew Harmon's powerful feature about how transgender people are treated in prison, "Eight Months in Solitary," for Outstanding Digital Journalism Article.
The 24th annual GLAAD Media Awards will take place on March 16 in New York City, on April 20 in Los Angeles, and on May 11 in San Francisco.
See all 120 nominees in 25 categories on the next page.
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 4 min 9 sec ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 1 hour 3 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM