BY Christopher Mangum
October 28 2009 12:50 PM ET
In an interview with Britain’s The Sun, Michael Bublé revealed that his current girlfriend thought the singer was gay when she first met him.
Bublé met girlfriend Luisana Lopilato last year backstage at one of his concerts.
Lopilato, a singer, actress, and model from Argentina, was with a male friend at the time. Intimidated by her beauty and deficient in his Spanish fluency, Buble spoke to her English-speaking companion instead.
“I was saying to him, ‘You’re a good-looking dude’ and ‘You guys are a good-looking couple,’” Bublé told The Sun. "I later found out she was on the phone to her mother the whole time saying, ‘Bublé’s gay. He's hitting on my friend.’”
Bublé also revealed in his interview that contrary to his innocent image, the crooner regularly bought marijuana on the streets of Vancouver, Canada, as a young man.
“I grew up in Vancouver, which has the best weed in the world and good alcohol. You can score [drugs] just walking down the street, so I did,” he said. “I've never done cocaine or heroin or anything stronger. But I don't see anything wrong with relaxing with a joint.”
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- Holder's Final Vow to Supreme Court: Uphold Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Think Before You Tweet 'Homophobe'