Do You Believe in Travis Garland?
BY Brandon Voss
May 27 2010 8:10 AM ET
Move over, Cher, because Travis Garland is giving us new reason to “Believe.” A former member of the now-defunct boy band NLT, Garland was rediscovered via MySpace by gossip blogger-turned-music mogul Perez Hilton, who has aggressively championed the 20-year-old talent on his site and opportunely introduced him to American Idol producer Simon Fuller. Currently working with prolific producer Nate “Danja” Hills on an urban pop record scheduled for release later this year, Garland spoke to The Advocate about his Perezcious partnership and other vocal gay admirers.
The Advocate: How did you feel about your performance of “Believe” on Idol last Wednesday?
Travis Garland: I felt great, and I had a great time doing it. I’m just so proud of all the dancers, the band, and the drummers, because we worked really hard to get there and make it great, so hopefully everybody enjoyed it as much as we did.
Before you hit the stage, Perez Hilton stunned host Ryan Seacrest when he boldly claimed you were “better than Justin Timberlake.” That was quite an introduction, wasn’t it?
Yeah, it was. I’m really flattered that Perez thinks that, but I know I have a long way to go before I get to that level and I can earn that kind of comparison. It’s awesome to be compared to Justin because he’s one of my idols.
Do you want a career like Justin’s?
I always looked up to him as a kid, and I admire the way he’s done things. He’s a classy guy, and not many people in the industry have any bad things to say about him. But besides Justin, I also admire Michael Jackson’s career — the way he changed the world with music and affected billions of lives with his talent.
Have you gotten any feedback from Justin?
I have, yeah. My friend Marty Kudelka, who directed my performance on American Idol, is Justin’s choreographer and friend. Justin heard the song and wanted Marty to let me know that he liked it. That was really awesome.
I like your cover of Beyoncé’s “Sweet Dreams.” Do you think she’s heard it?
I don’t know. I haven’t heard anything, but I hope she likes it.
Beyoncé covers aside, I’ve gathered from following you on Twitter that you’re an out and proud heterosexual.
I am. I’m a straight man, yes.
How’s that working out for you?
It’s working out great, man. I’m dating, but I’m keeping my options open.
If you pull a Ricky Martin in 10 years, I’ll be really annoyed.
[Laughs] Not much chance of that happening.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 2 hours 49 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM