Tori Amos: Long Day’s Journey Into Night
BY Matthew Breen
October 10 2011 7:00 AM ET
Longtime fans of musician Tori Amos are aware that she’s willing to take risks with genre and form. Though she’s delved into conceptual works in the past, exploring religion, gender, and mythology on previous discs, her new album, Night of Hunters, is a bona fide song cycle, taking inspiration from classical works spanning the last 400 years including Bach and Schubert. And it’s a history-making album as well, simultaneously topping Billboard’s Classical Crossover, Classical Overall Debut, and Top 10 Alternative and Rock Charts.
Amos sat down with The Advocate (coincidentally on the date of the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell”) and discussed the inspiration for the album, the story it tells of the potential dissolution of a marriage and the woman’s journey through time with a magical animal guide, a fox named Annabelle voiced by Amos’s daughter Natasha. Amos describes the connection between Night of Hunters and the musical she’s been working on for several years, and how touring with a classical quartet has inspired her to re-arrange many songs from her vast catalogue. A longtime supporter of LGBT equality, Amos also puts in her two cents about the folly of taxation without equal rights.
The album and tour schedule are at ToriAmos.com.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 24 min 19 sec ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM