Tori Amos: Long Day’s Journey Into Night
BY Matthew Breen
October 10 2011 6:00 AM ET
Longtime fans of musician Tori Amos are aware that she’s willing to take risks with genre and form. Though she’s delved into conceptual works in the past, exploring religion, gender, and mythology on previous discs, her new album, Night of Hunters, is a bona fide song cycle, taking inspiration from classical works spanning the last 400 years including Bach and Schubert. And it’s a history-making album as well, simultaneously topping Billboard’s Classical Crossover, Classical Overall Debut, and Top 10 Alternative and Rock Charts.
Amos sat down with The Advocate (coincidentally on the date of the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell”) and discussed the inspiration for the album, the story it tells of the potential dissolution of a marriage and the woman’s journey through time with a magical animal guide, a fox named Annabelle voiced by Amos’s daughter Natasha. Amos describes the connection between Night of Hunters and the musical she’s been working on for several years, and how touring with a classical quartet has inspired her to re-arrange many songs from her vast catalogue. A longtime supporter of LGBT equality, Amos also puts in her two cents about the folly of taxation without equal rights.
The album and tour schedule are at ToriAmos.com.
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 2 hours 54 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM