WATCH: Pastor Says Carrie Underwood Has Misunderstood The Bible
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 14 2012 11:39 AM ET
Country vocalist Carrie Underwood's recent show of support for marriage equality seems to have been universally well received, except by the pastor of one Tennessee church who says the singer has misinterpreted the Bible.
Earlier this week Underwood, who identifies as Christian, spoke with the U.K. paper The Independent about her stance on equality. "Our church is gay friendly," she says. "Above all, God wanted us to love others. It's not about setting rules, or [saying] 'everyone has to be like me.' No. We're all different. That's what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It's not up to me to judge anybody."
Scotty Smith, the pastor of Christ Community Church in Franklin, Tenn., who has worked with other Christian musicians including the writer of Underwood's massive hit "Jesus Take The Wheel," was interviewed by the Christian Broadcasting Network about Underwood's statements.
"What she said in that interview, unfortunately, has increasingly become a pretty broken understanding of what the Bible is saying. You want to listen to the Scripture in terms of what it says about everything, including marriage, including sexuality."
Watch the news report below.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Derek Jarman's Alternative to The New Gay Credo
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 30 min 39 sec ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 38 min 34 sec ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM