Carrie Underwood Speaks Out for Marriage Equality
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 11 2012 10:42 AM ET
Carrie Underwood, considered by many to by the country's most popular country singer, says she attends a gay-friendly church and supports marriage equality in an interview with U.K. paper The Independent.
"As a married person myself, I don't know what it's like to be told I can't marry somebody I love, and want to marry," Underwood tells The Independent. "I can't imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love."
The Independent's Guy Adams notes that Underwood's liberal viewpoint could alienate some of her more conservative fans, but the 29-year-old entertainer says her support for marriage equality comes from her Christian beliefs, not in spite of them.
"Our church is gay friendly," she says. "Above all, God wanted us to love others. It's not about setting rules, or [saying] 'everyone has to be like me.' No. We're all different. That's what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It's not up to me to judge anybody."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport 15 min 43 sec ago
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 37 min 7 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 55 min 3 sec ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 1 hour 15 min ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 1 hour 33 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 1 hour 48 min ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 1 hour 59 min ago