Odd Future's Frank Ocean Comes Out
BY Michelle Garcia
July 04 2012 1:43 PM ET
The avant-garde hip-hop group Odd Future has another LGBT member among its ranks.
Frank Ocean, 24, revealed in a note posted to his blog that his first love was a man he met four years ago. "I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that summer and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I’d see him, and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence … until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating with the feeling. No choice. It was my first love, it changed my life."
According to Fader, the message was intended to be part of the liner notes for his solo album, Channel Orange.
Out recently interviewed Syd the Kyd, the openly lesbian member of Odd Future, who said the group's focus is to be truth-tellers. "We're just a group of kids who make mistakes, and rather than lying about them, we use the truth to tell other people, people our age, 'Know that you're going to make mistakes. Shit isn't going to be perfect. If you need to scream at somebody, do it and apologize later.'"
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 59 min 26 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 54 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 2 hours 10 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 33 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM