Odd Future's Frank Ocean Comes Out
BY Michelle Garcia
July 04 2012 12:43 PM ET
The avant-garde hip-hop group Odd Future has another LGBT member among its ranks.
Frank Ocean, 24, revealed in a note posted to his blog that his first love was a man he met four years ago. "I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that summer and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I’d see him, and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence … until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating with the feeling. No choice. It was my first love, it changed my life."
According to Fader, the message was intended to be part of the liner notes for his solo album, Channel Orange.
Out recently interviewed Syd the Kyd, the openly lesbian member of Odd Future, who said the group's focus is to be truth-tellers. "We're just a group of kids who make mistakes, and rather than lying about them, we use the truth to tell other people, people our age, 'Know that you're going to make mistakes. Shit isn't going to be perfect. If you need to scream at somebody, do it and apologize later.'"
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 2 hours 42 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM