Frank Ocean Beats Chris Brown ... at the Grammys
BY Neal Broverman
February 11 2013 1:12 AM ET
If not for a rousing tribute to Bob Marley, the 55th annual Grammy Awards Sunday may be remembered most for a milestone in the Chris Brown-Frank Ocean feud.
Frank Ocean's lauded Channel Orange won Best Urban Contemporary Album, beating out Chris Brown's Fortune and Miguel's Kaleidoscope Dream. While the Los Angeles audience rose to its feet, Brown refused to get up (and it's rumored the crowd did not applaud when Brown's name was read by the award's presenters, Kelly Rowland and Nas). Brown and Ocean were recently involved in an altercation in a West Hollywood recording studio, with reports that Brown jumped Ocean and he or someone in Brown's crew called Ocean a gay epithet. Last year, Ocean opened up about a same-sex relationship.
Ocean later collected the Best Rap/Sung Collaboration award with Jay-Z for his contribution to the song "No Church in the Wild." Near the end of the show, Ocean performed "Forrest Gump" while a projection of the singer running (like Forrest Gump the character) circled on a loop below him (watch it below).
Other highlights of the evening included Kelly Clarkson singing "Natural Woman," written by Carole King and made famous by Aretha Franklin, and a duet with Bruno Mars and Sting that was part of a stirring Bob Marley tribute.
Out stars like Melissa Etheridge, Neil Patrick Harris, and Ellen DeGeneres appeared on the telecast, with the latter joining Beyoncé to introduce Justin Timberlake's sepia-toned performance. Another out star, Janis Ian, beat DeGeneres to win the best Spoken Word album for Society's Child: My Autobiography.
Major winners included fun.'s "We Are Young" for "Song of the Year," Mumford & Sons' Babel for Album of the Year, and Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" for Record of the Year. Click here for a complete list of winners.
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- Hot Sheet: Super Duper Star Zack
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM