Frank Ocean Beats Chris Brown ... at the Grammys
BY Neal Broverman
February 11 2013 1:12 AM ET
If not for a rousing tribute to Bob Marley, the 55th annual Grammy Awards Sunday may be remembered most for a milestone in the Chris Brown-Frank Ocean feud.
Frank Ocean's lauded Channel Orange won Best Urban Contemporary Album, beating out Chris Brown's Fortune and Miguel's Kaleidoscope Dream. While the Los Angeles audience rose to its feet, Brown refused to get up (and it's rumored the crowd did not applaud when Brown's name was read by the award's presenters, Kelly Rowland and Nas). Brown and Ocean were recently involved in an altercation in a West Hollywood recording studio, with reports that Brown jumped Ocean and he or someone in Brown's crew called Ocean a gay epithet. Last year, Ocean opened up about a same-sex relationship.
Ocean later collected the Best Rap/Sung Collaboration award with Jay-Z for his contribution to the song "No Church in the Wild." Near the end of the show, Ocean performed "Forrest Gump" while a projection of the singer running (like Forrest Gump the character) circled on a loop below him (watch it below).
Other highlights of the evening included Kelly Clarkson singing "Natural Woman," written by Carole King and made famous by Aretha Franklin, and a duet with Bruno Mars and Sting that was part of a stirring Bob Marley tribute.
Out stars like Melissa Etheridge, Neil Patrick Harris, and Ellen DeGeneres appeared on the telecast, with the latter joining Beyoncé to introduce Justin Timberlake's sepia-toned performance. Another out star, Janis Ian, beat DeGeneres to win the best Spoken Word album for Society's Child: My Autobiography.
Major winners included fun.'s "We Are Young" for "Song of the Year," Mumford & Sons' Babel for Album of the Year, and Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" for Record of the Year. Click here for a complete list of winners.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 54 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM