The Irrepressibles Lead Singer Talks About Being Gay and the Men He's Loved
BY Christopher Rudolph
February 18 2013 3:59 PM ET
You've been compared to Antony and the Johnsons, Kate Bush, and even other large ensemble troupes like Arcade Fire. Are these comparisons accurate? Who are some of your influences musically?
These comparisons are great. I am, in fact, only influenced by Kate Bush in terms of who you list, but Bowie, Buckley, Chet Baker, David Lynch, and Frankie Goes to Hollywood are big influences.
The latest single off this album is Two Men in Love. Who was your first love? Does love influence your work today?
I fell in love when I was at school. It changed my perspective on life. It was unrequited and as a socially reclusive child I became very depressed. At that time it wasn't okay to be gay and I was bullied viscously. I made it a mission to explain the beauty of being gay in my music. At least it's what I hope to do, to be honest.
If you knew an up and coming singer who was gay, what advice would you give him about being gay in the music industry, or just life in general?
Make work about your life. You are unique and difference is what the music industry needs. New perspectives make for innovation.
What’s next for you and The Irrepressibles?
We are touring the new album Nude internationally with a new vision I had of a live show, set amongst films about memory, emancipation and homosexual love. Aside from this I'm contributing music for film and performing vocals for some amazing electronic artists which will be released this year. It's a busy time but I'm obsessed with being part of music.
Nude is available now.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 1 hour 3 min ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM