WATCH: Gay Rapper Y-Love Releases New Music Video "Famous"
BY Jase Peeples
March 24 2013 7:06 PM ET
Openly gay, Orthodox Jewish rapper Y-Love became a beacon of hope for millions of LGBT people when he revealed his sexuality in 2012. “I feel like I’ve wasted years of my life worrying that it would alienate the community I dedicated my life to as an artist and as a man,” Y-Love said in an interview with Out magazine. “But my hope is that it will open their eyes—and hearts.”
Since his very public trip out of the closet, the world’s first black “Jewish MC” has been featured in hundreds of forums including Conan O’Brien,USA Today, XXL Magazine, The Australian, and Italy's La Repubblica.
Now Y-Love is back with a new single and music video "Famous," but he hasn’t backed away from showcasing who he really is. “This was also my first mainstream hip-pop video since coming out, and after "Focus on the Flair," I figured the fans wanted to, well, focus on something else,” Y-Love said in a press release. “But when Brody suggested we have a girl in the club scene in the video - I almost refused - I didn't want to even LOOK like I was straight in the video! So you see me walk out from the club by myself...story of my life..."
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- Katelynn on Caitlyn: I Am Cait Through the Eyes of TV's First Trans Reality Star
- The 13 Biggest Trolls in Media
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Debunking Bill Cosby's Claim He Can Read Women's Desires, Accuser Comes Out As Lesbian