WATCH: Gay Rapper Y-Love Releases New Music Video "Famous"
BY Jase Peeples
March 24 2013 7:06 PM ET
Openly gay, Orthodox Jewish rapper Y-Love became a beacon of hope for millions of LGBT people when he revealed his sexuality in 2012. “I feel like I’ve wasted years of my life worrying that it would alienate the community I dedicated my life to as an artist and as a man,” Y-Love said in an interview with Out magazine. “But my hope is that it will open their eyes—and hearts.”
Since his very public trip out of the closet, the world’s first black “Jewish MC” has been featured in hundreds of forums including Conan O’Brien,USA Today, XXL Magazine, The Australian, and Italy's La Repubblica.
Now Y-Love is back with a new single and music video "Famous," but he hasn’t backed away from showcasing who he really is. “This was also my first mainstream hip-pop video since coming out, and after "Focus on the Flair," I figured the fans wanted to, well, focus on something else,” Y-Love said in a press release. “But when Brody suggested we have a girl in the club scene in the video - I almost refused - I didn't want to even LOOK like I was straight in the video! So you see me walk out from the club by myself...story of my life..."
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar