WATCH: Gay Rapper Y-Love Releases New Music Video "Famous"
BY Jase Peeples
March 24 2013 7:06 PM ET
Openly gay, Orthodox Jewish rapper Y-Love became a beacon of hope for millions of LGBT people when he revealed his sexuality in 2012. “I feel like I’ve wasted years of my life worrying that it would alienate the community I dedicated my life to as an artist and as a man,” Y-Love said in an interview with Out magazine. “But my hope is that it will open their eyes—and hearts.”
Since his very public trip out of the closet, the world’s first black “Jewish MC” has been featured in hundreds of forums including Conan O’Brien,USA Today, XXL Magazine, The Australian, and Italy's La Repubblica.
Now Y-Love is back with a new single and music video "Famous," but he hasn’t backed away from showcasing who he really is. “This was also my first mainstream hip-pop video since coming out, and after "Focus on the Flair," I figured the fans wanted to, well, focus on something else,” Y-Love said in a press release. “But when Brody suggested we have a girl in the club scene in the video - I almost refused - I didn't want to even LOOK like I was straight in the video! So you see me walk out from the club by myself...story of my life..."
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 1 hour 1 min ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 1 hour 36 min ago
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 1 hour 50 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 1 hour 52 min ago
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM