Who Wants to Lick Charlton Heston?
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 08 2010 8:15 PM ET
A petition to commemorate Charlton Heston on a U.S. postage stamp took place on the actor’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today. A press release encouraged fans to “send an e-mail, letter and/or sign the petition in support of the effort to successfully implement this historic Hollywood figure into the U.S. postal stamp collection.” Heston was described in the release as “an icon of epic proportions, Academy Award-winning actor, philanthropist, and political activist.”
Missing from the release was any reference to Heston’s ties to the National Rifle Association, which many feel sullied his impressive film legacy, which included a performance as gay artist Michelangelo in The Agony and the Ecstasy and the title role in the homoerotic Ben-Hur. Heston’s numerous speeches on behalf of the NRA often included antigay rhetoric, drawing the ire of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and other LGBT organizations.
In 1997, GLAAD criticized Heston’s speech at the Free Congress Foundation's 20th Anniversary Gala, during which he stated, “I find my blood pressure rising when [President] Clinton’s cultural shock troops participate in homosexual rights fund-raisers but boycott gun rights fund-raisers ... and then claim it's time to place homosexual men in tents with Boy Scouts, and suggest that sperm donor babies born into lesbian relationships are somehow better served and more loved.” He’s also noted for the bon mot “In Hollywood there are more gun owners in the closet than homosexuals.”
See the following pages for late LGBT entertainers who are more worthy of celebrating.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 48 min 6 sec ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 1 hour 48 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM