WATCH: Jason Collins Says Duck Dynasty Star Was Untouchable During SOTU
BY Jase Peeples
January 30 2014 2:19 PM ET
Out NBA player Jason Collins says he would like to have had a conversation with Duck Dynasty star Willie Robertson at President Obama’s State of the Union address, but was unable to because the reality star was perpetually plagued by Republican congressmen competing for his attention, reports TMZ.
"They were moving [Robertson] from one Republican to another Republican [all night],” Collins, who was First Lady Michelle Obama’s guest in D.C., told TMZ. “I wish that he wasn’t moving as quick and we could’ve had an opportunity to talk, have a brief conversation, because it starts with a conversation. It starts with extending your hand.”
The Duck flock became the subject of widespread controversy when the family’s patriarch, Phil Robertson, compared homosexuality to bestiality, prostitution, adultery, alcoholism, and terrorism, claiming LGBT people were illogical “sinners” in an interview with GQ magazine.
Watch Collins’s interview with TMZ below.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 14 min 35 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 37 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 53 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 9 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 27 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 30 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 59 min ago