WATCH: Jason Collins Says Duck Dynasty Star Was Untouchable During SOTU
BY Jase Peeples
January 30 2014 2:19 PM ET
Out NBA player Jason Collins says he would like to have had a conversation with Duck Dynasty star Willie Robertson at President Obama’s State of the Union address, but was unable to because the reality star was perpetually plagued by Republican congressmen competing for his attention, reports TMZ.
"They were moving [Robertson] from one Republican to another Republican [all night],” Collins, who was First Lady Michelle Obama’s guest in D.C., told TMZ. “I wish that he wasn’t moving as quick and we could’ve had an opportunity to talk, have a brief conversation, because it starts with a conversation. It starts with extending your hand.”
The Duck flock became the subject of widespread controversy when the family’s patriarch, Phil Robertson, compared homosexuality to bestiality, prostitution, adultery, alcoholism, and terrorism, claiming LGBT people were illogical “sinners” in an interview with GQ magazine.
Watch Collins’s interview with TMZ below.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 47 min 4 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 1 hour 18 min ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 1 hour 24 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 2 hours 25 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 hours 39 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 59 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM