BY Corey Scholibo
July 14 2009 12:00 AM ET
So you had no interest in seeing yourself on TV but were interested in representing a normal life in Miami?Exactly. Also it's a new adventure, and I'm working on this project called The Style Lab, a new style website. You better sign up.
OK.It's like Facebook for fashionistas. So I'm working on this project and I thought, well, if this comes in with the story line, this will be amazing. I mean, what better way to get press for your company? Also I've been an entertainment writer, and there aren't many people in their 30s that you see on television that aren't train wrecks, and we're not train wrecks -- at least I don't think we are. We all have a little drama in our personal lives that I think everybody in their 30s has. There are marriage shakeups, or dating, or financial stuff, or kids, or what have you. I think that these are all very relatable things for people in their 30s.
I think your character actually comes off as genuine whereas the other gay character of Ariel comes off as a caricature, at least in the three episodes I have seen so far. You come off as yourself for better or worse, and I didn't feel like you were performing.I wasn't. You know, I appreciate you saying that, and I'll tell you why. There were so many times we shot that I did not get ready, you know what I mean. I did not like, try to be anybody I wasn't. I was really just being me and it's such a lame answer, but you know, I was really going through my life, through the motions of it. I wasn't scripting in my head or making sure my hair was cut or whatever.
So you would've gone and say, worked out with that trainer you find attractive anyway?Mark? Oh yeah, totally. There were times actually when they were like, "You need to go out more," and I was like, "Yeah, well I don't really like going out, so I'm not going to."
OK, so this whole group is supposed to be a group of friends on the show, but you all went out and auditioned for this. So you can't really have all been friends before.Actually, Katrina and I are pretty close because I wrote her wedding story for In Touch Weekly in 2004, so we go back a way. Ariel I knew around Miami. I wasn't, like, tight with him, but I knew of him. And I was friendly with everybody. I mean they're not like my best friends, but the thing with this group is that everybody always mixes with each other. Miami is like a big city with a small-town life and you wind up seeing kind of the same "power players" at different places. I really like everyone on the show. Of course, I have my issues with Ariel sometimes.
Yes, but obviously you guys didn't get together every week and have cocktails at the Gansevoort Hotel like you do on the show.No, we didn't do that normally. They had to get us together at least once a week.
You're actually really good friends with the photographer Maria in the show.I am. I love Maria. I think the show definitely brought us closer together because Maria and I are a little bit more raunchy... you know, we're both really real, like if I say something, she gets it, whereas Katrina will be like "Don't say that!" if I say something that's too dirty.
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM