BY Dave White
September 04 2009 7:20 AM ET
Actually I don’t know what’s gay about NASCAR except Jeff Gordon.* But someone—I forget who, maybe GLAAD, but someone in any case—does a study each year about how many gays there are on TV. And each year, apparently, we’re underrepresented.
But not from where I sit. Maybe they’re only counting the big networks? The prime-time narrative shows? Are they leaving out reality programming? Soaps? Jerry Springer and Tyra Banks? Because in a DVR world, none of those distinctions matter. For me, if the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past is making out with a male space alien on Aqua Teen Hunger Force at 1 a.m. on the Cartoon Network, that’s all the gay I need. It counts.
I haven’t done a study obviously, but this fall it’s going to be extremely homosexualish all over the nation’s flat screens. Here’s stuff you should start looking for very soon:
Modern Family: A sitcom about three families in the same neighborhood. One of them is a gay male couple with an adopted baby. I saw an extended commercial for this one playing at a local movie theater (not sure why they do that, but whatever) and the gays look pretty typical in terms of their let’s-all-get-offended-and-take-a-stand-for-gay-pride behavior, but that might just be the pilot. Maybe they’ll mellow out after a while. Or not. Straight audiences love their gays to behave in certain dumb ways. It may just be a phase the world is going through.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 9 min 48 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 54 min 48 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 5 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 8 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 2 hours 52 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 59 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM