Can Satire Be Racist? on Obama
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 11 2011 6:25 PM ET
More proof context is everything: The Daily Show Wednesday tackled what conservatives are calling “the Obama downgrade.” The show’s “senior black correspondent.” Larry Wilmore. had some stern advice for President Obama’s weak response to the U.S. credit rating getting downgraded by Standard & Poor’s last week and the results were either hilarious liberal satire or embarrassing old-school racism, depending on who you ask.
“America finally gets its first black president and our credit goes bad,” deadpans Wilmore. In conversation with Jon Stewart, Wilmore suggests Obama should be more stereotypically black to ward off our creditors, because he can get out us out of the red “by going black” and learning to “own it.” But by own it, Wilmore really means rent it.
No words on how fast Obama should evolve on LGBT issues, but surely Wilmore has ideas about that too.
|The Daily Show With Jon Stewart||Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c|
|The Obama Downgrade|
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Marriage Equality Supporter Featured in Mormon Anti-Marriage Equality Post
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why, No Matter What, I Still Can't Marry My Girlfriend