Dreamgirl Sheryl Lee Ralph to Portray Jennifer Hudson's Mom on Smash
BY Neal Broverman
August 16 2012 2:07 PM ET
Sheryl Lee Ralph, a Broadway veteran who originated the role of Deena Jones in Dreamgirls, will play the mother of Jennifer Hudson's character on NBC's Smash next season.
Ralph will appear as Cynthia on the second season of Smash, which centers on the production of a Broadway show. Cynthia is the mother to Veronica, a troublesome theater star played by Jennifer Hudson (an Oscar winner for her role in the theatrical version of Dreamgirls). Read more here.
Ralph starred for many years on the television show Moesha, as well as in films like Barbershop. The actress is a longtime AIDS activist; click here to read an interview with her in our sister magazine, HIV Plus.
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'