Dreamgirl Sheryl Lee Ralph to Portray Jennifer Hudson's Mom on Smash
BY Neal Broverman
August 16 2012 2:07 PM ET
Sheryl Lee Ralph, a Broadway veteran who originated the role of Deena Jones in Dreamgirls, will play the mother of Jennifer Hudson's character on NBC's Smash next season.
Ralph will appear as Cynthia on the second season of Smash, which centers on the production of a Broadway show. Cynthia is the mother to Veronica, a troublesome theater star played by Jennifer Hudson (an Oscar winner for her role in the theatrical version of Dreamgirls). Read more here.
Ralph starred for many years on the television show Moesha, as well as in films like Barbershop. The actress is a longtime AIDS activist; click here to read an interview with her in our sister magazine, HIV Plus.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 5 min 21 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 14 min 46 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again 1 hour 3 min ago
- Transgender Transgender Woman Alleges Discrimination by Bridal Shop 1 hour 15 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts' Decision Draws Heated Reaction From All Sides 1 hour 59 min ago
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 11:20 AM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM