Ellen Barkin Has Something to Say About Utah Station Banning The New Normal
BY Neal Broverman
August 27 2012 12:45 PM ET
Actress Ellen Barkin has never minced words, especially on Twitter, and now she's launching a war against a homophobic Utah TV station that banned her new gay-themed show.
KSL, a Salt Lake City NBC affiliate, decided to drop The New Normal, Barkin's new show that centers around a gay couple having a child. “So L&O SVU (rape & child murder) is ok? But loving gay couple having a baby is inappropriate?,” Barkin tweeted Friday. She followed that up with "L&O SUV ... anal tearing not 'explicit' content, child slavery not 'explicit' content? But , laughing & loving is? "
Barkin was referencing Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, which features cases involving sex crimes. The actress also tried to rally Lady Gaga's loyal "monsters" to the cause.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has also directed ire toward KSL, with executive director Herndon Graddick saying in a statement, "Same-sex families are a beloved part of American television thanks to shows like Modern Family, Glee, and Grey’s Anatomy. While audiences, critics and advertisers have all supported LGBT stories, KSL is demonstrating how deeply out of touch it is with the rest of the country."
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM