Ellen Barkin Has Something to Say About Utah Station Banning The New Normal
BY Neal Broverman
August 27 2012 1:45 PM ET
Actress Ellen Barkin has never minced words, especially on Twitter, and now she's launching a war against a homophobic Utah TV station that banned her new gay-themed show.
KSL, a Salt Lake City NBC affiliate, decided to drop The New Normal, Barkin's new show that centers around a gay couple having a child. “So L&O SVU (rape & child murder) is ok? But loving gay couple having a baby is inappropriate?,” Barkin tweeted Friday. She followed that up with "L&O SUV ... anal tearing not 'explicit' content, child slavery not 'explicit' content? But , laughing & loving is? "
Barkin was referencing Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, which features cases involving sex crimes. The actress also tried to rally Lady Gaga's loyal "monsters" to the cause.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has also directed ire toward KSL, with executive director Herndon Graddick saying in a statement, "Same-sex families are a beloved part of American television thanks to shows like Modern Family, Glee, and Grey’s Anatomy. While audiences, critics and advertisers have all supported LGBT stories, KSL is demonstrating how deeply out of touch it is with the rest of the country."
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- New Details Emerge as Officials Rule Leelah Alcorn's Death a 'Suicide'
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women
- Rick Santorum Defends Bruce Jenner: 'He's a Woman'
- Argentina Makes History With Three-Parent Birth Certificate
- WATCH: Being Gay Is 'Death Worthy,' According to Georgia Church Sign