Ellen Barkin Has Something to Say About Utah Station Banning The New Normal
BY Neal Broverman
August 27 2012 1:45 PM ET
Actress Ellen Barkin has never minced words, especially on Twitter, and now she's launching a war against a homophobic Utah TV station that banned her new gay-themed show.
KSL, a Salt Lake City NBC affiliate, decided to drop The New Normal, Barkin's new show that centers around a gay couple having a child. “So L&O SVU (rape & child murder) is ok? But loving gay couple having a baby is inappropriate?,” Barkin tweeted Friday. She followed that up with "L&O SUV ... anal tearing not 'explicit' content, child slavery not 'explicit' content? But , laughing & loving is? "
Barkin was referencing Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, which features cases involving sex crimes. The actress also tried to rally Lady Gaga's loyal "monsters" to the cause.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has also directed ire toward KSL, with executive director Herndon Graddick saying in a statement, "Same-sex families are a beloved part of American television thanks to shows like Modern Family, Glee, and Grey’s Anatomy. While audiences, critics and advertisers have all supported LGBT stories, KSL is demonstrating how deeply out of touch it is with the rest of the country."
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 49 min 58 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 58 min 9 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 1 hour 1 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 1 hour 17 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 2 hours 24 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 7:00 AM