Morning Joe Commentator Jokes That Sen. Lindsey Graham Is a Woman
BY Neal Broverman
November 28 2012 8:33 PM ET
A nasty joke found its way on Wednesday's episode of MSNBC's Morning Joe, with commentator John Heilemann insinuating conservative South Carolina senator Lindsey Graham is a woman.
Heilemann and hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinksi were discussing foreign policy leaders in the Senate, specifically John McCain, Joe Lieberman, and Graham. With Lieberman retiring, the remaining two of the "three amigos" are now reportedly teaming up with New Hampshire senator Kelly Ayotte to help them shape foreign policy. Heilemann said, "They need a third amigo at all times. So now they have — now two of the three are women — now at least one of the three are women."
This led to gales of laughter between Heilemann and Scarborough. The Drudge Report headlined the whole incident as "MSNBC makes gay joke about Sen. Graham." The joke was edited out of a later broadcast, according to a report Drudge linked to from MediaBistro.
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- WATCH: Antigay Billboard Sparks Controversy in Tenn.
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Marriage Decision: 'No Need For Us to Rush'