WATCH: The Staircase Tackles Murder, Biphobia, and a Complex Justice System
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 14 2013 7:35 PM ET
When novelist Michael Peterson made a 911 call in 2001, about his wife Kathleen — who was then laying in a pool of blood at the bottom of the stairs — he had no idea that it would launch one of the most fascinating, shocking, and biphobic trials of our time. Peterson was allegedly filled with grief over the accident, and family and friends testified his marriage was ideal, but investigators immediately believed Kathleen's death was no accident and arrested Peterson for her murder.
During the North Carolina trial there were a series of revelations that stunned the jury, none more damaging than the fact that Peterson was bisexual and had sex with other men. The case became front page news across the country with everyone weighing in on Peterson's guilt or innocence.
The Sundance doc-series, The Staircase, which begins tonight at 10 p.m., follows the entire case from the day of Kathleen's death to the final verdict in court. Academy Award-winning director Jean-Xavier de Lestrade (who did Murder on a Sunday Morning) has unprecedented access to Peterson, his legal team, forensic experts, and others. This 8-episode series includes the original 6 episodes that aired on Sundance in 2004, and two gripping new follow up episodes that update the case and the complexity around the guilt or innocence of Michael Peterson.
The series might just be Lestrade's pièce de résistance and it's a must-see for LGBT viewers interested in crime, social justice, and sexual liberty.
Watch the trailer below:
Or watch the entire first episode here:
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 18 min 16 sec ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 46 min 6 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 4:00 AM