Drop Dead Diva Canceled
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 16 2013 2:20 PM ET
The series, about a shallow model who dies in a car accident and is reincarnated in the body of a recently deceased, altruistic lawyer, was a ratings hit but was becoming too expensive to produce, according to The Wrap.
The show featured numerous gay and gay-beloved guest stars — including Rosie O'Donnell and Liza Minnelli — and gay-themed plotlines, and costarred queer actress Margaret Cho, along with Brooke Elliott and Jackson Hurst. LGBT members of the crew included out producer Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, as well as lesbian director Jamie Babbit. Drop Dead Diva was also nominated for a 2013 GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Individual Episode in a series without a regular LGBT character, for its "Family Matters" episode.
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Katelynn on Caitlyn: I Am Cait Through the Eyes of TV's First Trans Reality Star
- Folk Singer Janis Ian: Bill Cosby Blackballed Me From TV as a Teen
- Modern-Day Martin Luthers Show Support for Ousted Gay Methodist Minister