BY Brandon Voss
July 12 2011 7:00 AM ET
Inspired by the true story of Harvard’s 1920 “secret court” formed to expel homosexual students after one student’s suicide, this sharp and stylish melodrama — conceived and directed by Tony Speciale and created with Plastic Theatre members — is a triumphant memorial. Distracting theatrics aside, it’s a glossier, gutsier take on the subject than last summer’s Veritas, aided by indelibly effete turns from Nick Westrate and Max Jenkins.
Classic Stage Company, through July 24.
Silence! The Musical
This unauthorized parody of The Silence of the Lambs stars Jenn Harris, who does a dead-on Jodie Foster as Clarice; Brent Barrett, who croons with killer charm as Dr. Lecter; Steven Bienskie as penis-tucking transsexual Buffalo Bill; and, poking fun at Ms. Foster, Deidre Goodwin as a lesbian love interest. But the snappy book by [title of show]’s Hunter Bell outshines a so-so score that tries to shock with tunes like “If I Could Smell Her Cunt.”
Theatre 80, through August 13.
The Emperor’s New Codpiece
Drag playwright Linda Simpson puts a campy, delightfully anachronistic spin on Hans Christian Andersen’s classic, setting the fable in medieval times at the Castle Club, a “nightspot for fops.” Directed by Theatre Askew’s Tim Cusack, the show also stars Simpson as a diet ale–drinking drag queen who aims to sabotage the go-go dancers by convincing them to don invisible codpieces, but Patrick Johnson steals the show as a horny peasant girl.
The Laurie Beechman Theatre, through July 15.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 1 hour 40 min ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 2 hours 52 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM