Transgender Documentary Becomes Musical
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 02 2011 7:45 PM ET
A new musical based on Kate Davis’s award-winning transgender documentary, Southern Comfort, will premiere at CAP21’s Black Box Theater in New York City in October, according to The New York Times.
The film chronicled the last year of Robert Eads’s life, his love with partner Lola Cola, his adopted family, and life in the rural South as a transgender man. It became one of the most critically acclaimed films ever made about transgender people.
Director Tom Caruso’s musical of the same name will star Annette O’Toole (of Smallville fame) and Jeff McCarthy (from Urinetown and Beauty and the Beast). It will feature a folk-bluegrass score by Dan Collins and Julianne Wick Davis.
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball
- Kim Davis to Appeal Contempt Ruling
- Meet the Trans Man and Pansexual Woman Married by Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis