Transgender Documentary Becomes Musical
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 02 2011 7:45 PM ET
A new musical based on Kate Davis’s award-winning transgender documentary, Southern Comfort, will premiere at CAP21’s Black Box Theater in New York City in October, according to The New York Times.
The film chronicled the last year of Robert Eads’s life, his love with partner Lola Cola, his adopted family, and life in the rural South as a transgender man. It became one of the most critically acclaimed films ever made about transgender people.
Director Tom Caruso’s musical of the same name will star Annette O’Toole (of Smallville fame) and Jeff McCarthy (from Urinetown and Beauty and the Beast). It will feature a folk-bluegrass score by Dan Collins and Julianne Wick Davis.
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 52 min 46 sec ago
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 59 min 33 sec ago
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM