U.K. Actor, Financier Spar Over Settlement at Partnership's End
BY Trudy Ring
March 09 2012 4:50 PM ET
Don Gallagher, who starred in the London stage version of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, and financial analyst Peter Lawrence “are embroiled in the first legal battle over the division of assets following the break-up of a civil partnership” in the U.K., the London Evening Standard reports.
A judge last year awarded Gallagher a settlement of £1.7 million in cash and property, which Lawrence is appealing, claiming it is excessive. In an appeals court this week, Lawrence’s attorney said the calculations of his client’s net worth should not have included an apartment he bought before the two met.
Gallagher’s lawyers said he deserves the settlement because he handled most of the household operations for the couple and turned down acting jobs to renovate their country home, which he was awarded after their split.
Gallagher, 54, appeared as Bernice, the aging transgender woman played by Terence Stamp in the film, in the West End production of Priscilla. He and Lawrence, 47, an equity analyst for JPMorgan, broke up after being in a civil partnership for seven months, but they had been together for 11 years before formalizing their union.
The three judges who heard the appeal said they would rule at an unspecified later date, the Standard reports.
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- Person of the Year: The Finalists
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill December 21 2013 6:00 AM