Bakery Loses Fight in Strange Case of Refusing Lesbian Wedding Cake
BY Lucas Grindley
January 19 2014 7:06 PM ET
State investigators now say an Oregon bakery violated the law when it refused to do a wedding cake for two women — but would meanwhile bake cakes for pagan ceremonies, human cloning or divorces.
The owner of Sweet Cakes by Melissa in Gresham, Oregon refused service last year to a lesbian couple — Rachel Cryer and Laurel Bowman — who say they were called “abominations to the Lord.” Owners Aaron and Melissa Klein have denied using that phrase but stood by the decision to turn them away.
The case became really strange when a local newspaper started placing orders for cakes it assumed would also be turned away, including a party for a divorce, a celebration of the pagan solstice complete with green pentagram decoration, a congratulatory cake on a grant to study cloning human stem cells, and even a cake celebrating a baby born out of wedlock. All were accepted, reported Willamette Week in May.
Now a year after the incident, the Bureau of Labor and Industries has determined the Sweet Cakes policy is illegal, The Oregonian reports. And the owners will either have to settle or take the case to court, according to KGW-TV.
Although it's not yet legal to marry in Oregon, The Oregon Equality Act passed in 2007 ensures that no customer can be discriminated against over their sexual orientation.
The Oregonian reports that Sweet Cakes closed its doors and went online-only in September.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 2 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 2 hours 38 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM