Chile Passes Antidiscrimination Law After Fatal Antigay Attack
April 05 2012 3:17 PM ET
Chilean lawmakers have passed a long-awaited antidiscrimination law following the fatal assault of a 24-year-old man last month in Santiago, Chile’s capital.
Daniel Zamudio died last week after being brutally attacked by four men claiming to be neo-Nazis who, among other atrocities, allegedly carved swastikas into the young man’s body.
The hate crime ignited outrage from LGBT activists and drew worldwide attention. The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights called on Chile to pass a law protecting individuals against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
AP reports that the antidiscrimination law, passed by Chile’s House of Deputies in a close vote seven years after it was first introduced, prohibits “any distinction, exclusion or restriction that lacks reasonable justification, committed by agents of the state or individuals, and that causes the deprivation, disturbance or threatens the legitimate exercise of fundamental rights.” The law was passed by the country's Senate last fall; a final version reconciling differences between the two legislative bodies has yet to be approved.
More on Zamudio’s death here via Edge Media’s Michael Lavers.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM