Chile Passes Antidiscrimination Law After Fatal Antigay Attack
April 05 2012 3:17 PM ET
Chilean lawmakers have passed a long-awaited antidiscrimination law following the fatal assault of a 24-year-old man last month in Santiago, Chile’s capital.
Daniel Zamudio died last week after being brutally attacked by four men claiming to be neo-Nazis who, among other atrocities, allegedly carved swastikas into the young man’s body.
The hate crime ignited outrage from LGBT activists and drew worldwide attention. The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights called on Chile to pass a law protecting individuals against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
AP reports that the antidiscrimination law, passed by Chile’s House of Deputies in a close vote seven years after it was first introduced, prohibits “any distinction, exclusion or restriction that lacks reasonable justification, committed by agents of the state or individuals, and that causes the deprivation, disturbance or threatens the legitimate exercise of fundamental rights.” The law was passed by the country's Senate last fall; a final version reconciling differences between the two legislative bodies has yet to be approved.
More on Zamudio’s death here via Edge Media’s Michael Lavers.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 11 min 56 sec ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 48 min 28 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 58 min 10 sec ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 1 hour 36 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM