Judge Defends Giving Dharun Ravi 30 Days in Jail
BY Lucas Grindley
May 31 2012 2:34 PM ET
The judge who gave Dharun Ravi 30 days in jail for his role in the death of Tyler Clementi says it would have been “unconscionable” to give a longer sentence.
Judge Glenn Berman said in a court hearing, according to The New York Times, that “I can’t find it in me to remand him to state prison that houses people convicted of offenses such as murder, armed robbery and rape. I don’t believe that that fits this case. I believe that he has to be punished, and he will be.”
The 30-day sentence, plus a fine, community service and probation, were what Berman felt was the right punishment after a jury convicted Ravi on 15 charges. The Times says Berman pointed out that Ravi is only 20 years old and he claimed that lawmakers never intended harsher bias crime sentences to be used in privacy cases.
Ravi had been convicted of spying on Clementi and then of covering up his tracks when police began investigating.
Prosecutors have said they plan to appeal Ravi's sentence.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM