Former Head of Bronx LGBT Center Charged With Embezzlement
BY Michelle Garcia
June 26 2012 6:26 PM ET
The former executive director of Bronx Community Pride was arrested for possibly embezzling $338,000 from the LGBT resource center during her six year tenure.
Lisa Winters was charged with grand larceny and falsifying business records for the center supported by city government funds on June 15. According to the New York Post, Winters is accused of spending the funds on personal expenses like a month-long, $25,000 trip to South Africa with her wife in 2007, clothing, and other goods and services.
After she was fired in January 2010 on suspicion that she was embezzling funds, it was discovered that she was responsible for the loss of $338,674.
The deficit could lead to the closure of the center, which serves at least a thousand people across the Bronx.
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People