Former Head of Bronx LGBT Center Charged With Embezzlement
BY Michelle Garcia
June 26 2012 6:26 PM ET
The former executive director of Bronx Community Pride was arrested for possibly embezzling $338,000 from the LGBT resource center during her six year tenure.
Lisa Winters was charged with grand larceny and falsifying business records for the center supported by city government funds on June 15. According to the New York Post, Winters is accused of spending the funds on personal expenses like a month-long, $25,000 trip to South Africa with her wife in 2007, clothing, and other goods and services.
After she was fired in January 2010 on suspicion that she was embezzling funds, it was discovered that she was responsible for the loss of $338,674.
The deficit could lead to the closure of the center, which serves at least a thousand people across the Bronx.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 55 min 1 sec ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 1 hour 25 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 1 hour 51 min ago
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 2 hours 2 min ago
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 2 hours 50 min ago
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 2 hours 51 min ago