Man Charged in Gay Mississippi Candidate's Death
BY Trudy Ring
March 01 2013 9:42 PM ET
A man has been charged with the murder of gay Clarksdale, Miss., mayoral candidate Marco McMillian.
The Coahoma County Sheriff's Department released a statement Thursday saying Lawrence Reed, 22, of Shelby, Miss., was charged in the death of McMillian, 34, reports USA Today.
McMillian’s body was found near the Mississippi River Wednesday. Police considered him missing after his SUV, driven by Reed, collided with another vehicle Tuesday. McMillian was not in SUV.
The sheriff’s department did not release information on the cause of McMillian’s death or any theories about a motive, although the county coroner said he believed politics was not a factor.
McMillian was one of four Democrats seeking the Clarksdale mayoral nomination and “was considered one of the first viable openly gay office-seekers in the state,” USA Today notes.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 2 hours 23 min ago
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM