Man Charged in Gay Mississippi Candidate's Death
BY Trudy Ring
March 01 2013 9:42 PM ET
A man has been charged with the murder of gay Clarksdale, Miss., mayoral candidate Marco McMillian.
The Coahoma County Sheriff's Department released a statement Thursday saying Lawrence Reed, 22, of Shelby, Miss., was charged in the death of McMillian, 34, reports USA Today.
McMillian’s body was found near the Mississippi River Wednesday. Police considered him missing after his SUV, driven by Reed, collided with another vehicle Tuesday. McMillian was not in SUV.
The sheriff’s department did not release information on the cause of McMillian’s death or any theories about a motive, although the county coroner said he believed politics was not a factor.
McMillian was one of four Democrats seeking the Clarksdale mayoral nomination and “was considered one of the first viable openly gay office-seekers in the state,” USA Today notes.
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM