First Married Lesbian Murder Case in Mass. Ends in Hung Jury
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 15 2013 10:22 AM ET
The strange, sad saga of Cara and Annamarie Rintala was supposed to come to an end this week, but when jurors failed to either aquit or convict Cara — on trial for murdering her wife in their Granby, Mass. home in 2010 — a Hampshire Superior Court jury declared a mistrial. Prosecutor Steven Gagne told ABC40 that Rintala won't be getting a pass, saying, "We certainly look forward to re-trying the case, we are fully committed to re-trying this case.”
The case made history: it is allegedly the first murder between a same-sex married couple in the state of Massachusetts. After Annamarie was found strangled to death in the basement of their home in 2010 it took 18 months or prosecutors to pull together a case against Rintala. According to ABC40, the juorors were shown more than 100 pieces of evidence, with prosecutors arguing that Rintala murdered her wife over battles she'd had with the victim about money and custody of their daughter, Brianna.
The jury deliberated for five days before the mistrial was declared. MassLive.com did fairly riveting daily reports from inside the courtroom during the 16-day trial as well as updates on juror instructions and requests during the deliberations.
Read more on the case at MassLive.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM