WATCH: Gender-Nonconforming Person Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 04 2013 12:35 PM ET
A 22-year-old gender-nonconforming gay person was attacked in Los Angeles Thursday evening, as the employee left Beso, an eatery on Hollywood Boulevard owned by actor Eva Longoria, reports CBS Los Angeles.
The victim, who family members describe as both gay and transgender, was allegedly assaulted by a group of men while walking toward the Metro transit station on Hollywood Boulevard. Police are investigating the incident as a hate crime.
The victim's sisters told CBS their brother, Victor Diego, was dressed in women's garb for a night out with friends when a group of men jumped Diego from behind, and began punching and kicking the 22-year-old. Diego is currently hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, being treated for two fractured ribs, a shattered cheekbone, a broken jaw, and damage to the temple, where Diego's sisters say assailants kicked their sibling.
"He was basically left for dead just because of who he is," Diego's sister Virginia told CBS, explaining why she believes the assault was a hate crime. "Sometimes men try to talk to him and they get humiliated in front of their friends when they realize it's a man. Because he looks really good, he looks like a woman; you couldn't tell the difference."
Longoria tweeted her support for the victim and the entire family on Monday.
While Diego's family refer to their sibling using male pronouns, they also acknowledge that Diego is transgender, and it's unclear how Diego self-identifies. Because of this, The Advocate will continue to use gender-neutral pronouns to refer to Diego.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 1 hour 5 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM