Did Tennessee Shop Owner Make Up Hate Crime Story?
BY Lucas Grindley
December 30 2013 9:00 AM ET
A Tennessee man who told police he'd been attacked in a hate crime at his health food store is now the one being charged.
The Paris Post-Intelligencer reports that Joe Williams, owner of Healthy Thyme in Paris, Tenn., was charged with filing a false report. He had told police of a robbery in which he was beaten unconscious, only to wake and find three men lighting his store on fire. He said they had written "fag" on his forehead.
Now the Post-Intelligencer reports that Williams's story turned up inconsistencies:
Paris Police Sgt. Ricky Watson said Williams failed to bring up certain facts known to investigators on three different occasions.
“He was given three opportunities to disclose that information, and he chose not to,” Watson said.
That leaves investigators trying to determine how much of Williams’ story might have been true.
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM