WATCH: United Nations Launches Bollywood-Inspired LGBT Equality Campaign
BY Jase Peeples
April 30 2014 1:56 PM ET
The United Nations Human Rights Office has produced a new Bollywood-themed music video promoting LGBT equality around the world.
Featuring the vocal talents of Bollywood actress Celina Jaitly and the smooth moves of Slumdog Millionaire choreographer Longi, the colorful clip, titled “The Welcome,” tells the story of a young man who introduces his boyfriend to his family in India for the first time.
The video is a part of the U.N. Free & Equal campaign, an effort to battle homophobia and challenge stereotypes of LGBT people in every corner of the globe.
“The Welcome” is being promoted in India on both the Web and television, with video’s soundtrack being played on radio as well. “It's all about getting conversations going,” said Jaitly, who is also a U.N. equality champion, at a press conference launching the video today, reports The Huffington Post. “If you can get people talking about these issues, the battle is already half-won.”
Watch “The Welcome” below, and for more information about the U.N. Free & Equal campaign, visit www.unfe.org.
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps