DOMA Plaintiff to Finally Get Health Benefits
BY Lucas Grindley
March 27 2012 1:48 PM ET
A federal employee who sued to obtain health benefits for her partner will soon finally get what she has long sought.
In a reversal of its previous course, the Obama administration reportedly has asked Blue Cross Blue Shield to offer Karen Golinski's wife, Amy Cunninghis, full benefits.
A judge in the Golinski case had ruled in February that the Defense of Marriage Act, which had blocked access to the benefits, was unconstitutional. House Republicans, who are funding a defense of DOMA, have already appealed the ruling, but the Obama administration doesn't appear to be waiting.
The House Republicans, led by Speaker John Boehner, are picking up where the Obama Department of Justice left off when it declared that it would no longer defend DOMA in legal challenges like the one from Golinski.
Tara Borelli, a Lambda Legal lawyer representing Golinski, told The Washington Post that the couple has "been waiting for years for this equal treatment.” And although the administration's decision applies only in this case, Borelli pledged to press on until other same-sex couples receive equal benefits.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM