DOMA Plaintiff to Finally Get Health Benefits
BY Lucas Grindley
March 27 2012 2:48 PM ET
A federal employee who sued to obtain health benefits for her partner will soon finally get what she has long sought.
In a reversal of its previous course, the Obama administration reportedly has asked Blue Cross Blue Shield to offer Karen Golinski's wife, Amy Cunninghis, full benefits.
A judge in the Golinski case had ruled in February that the Defense of Marriage Act, which had blocked access to the benefits, was unconstitutional. House Republicans, who are funding a defense of DOMA, have already appealed the ruling, but the Obama administration doesn't appear to be waiting.
The House Republicans, led by Speaker John Boehner, are picking up where the Obama Department of Justice left off when it declared that it would no longer defend DOMA in legal challenges like the one from Golinski.
Tara Borelli, a Lambda Legal lawyer representing Golinski, told The Washington Post that the couple has "been waiting for years for this equal treatment.” And although the administration's decision applies only in this case, Borelli pledged to press on until other same-sex couples receive equal benefits.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM