New Campaign Inspires LGBT Americans to Take Advantage of Affordable Care Act
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
December 10 2013 4:58 PM ET
While technical problems and Republican calls for repeal have dominated recent news about the Affordable Care Act, there remains a campaign dedicated to addressing LGBT concerns about the health care reform law.
Out2Enroll, an initiative aimed at educating LGBT Americans about new coverage options made available by the ACA, launched in October with a website answering questions that may not be dealt with elsewhere, such as “Why should getting covered matter to the LGBT community?” “What if I’m transgender?” and “Can I apply for financial assistance with my same-sex spouse?”
In addition to the website, Out2Enroll is holding public events to explain the ACA. There were two events so far this month, in Denver and Houston, and another is set for Thursday at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.
The Congressional Budget Office expects at least 7 million Americans to sign up for coverage under the ACA by March 31, and the campaign aims to be a reliable resource for LGBT Americans and may motivate more people to take advantage of the new options.
“As enrollment progresses through March 2014, Out2Enroll will continue its work at the state level to link LGBT communities with their new coverage options through partnerships with organizations such as Enroll America, Community Catalyst, the Service Employees International Union, consumer health advocates, and LGBT equality organizations. Additional events will be held in the spring of 2014 in additional cities across the country,” says a press release on the Out2Enroll website. Out2Enroll is a project of the Center for American Progress, the Federal Agencies Project, and the Sellers Dorsey Foundation.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 1 hour 7 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM